The term "manufactured home" specifically refers to a home built entirely in a protected environment under a federal code set by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Manufactured homes are NOT mobile homes.
Since 1977, Palm Harbor Homes has led the manufactured home industry with a focus on complete customer satisfaction and superior homes. Palm Harbor builds in environmentally protected building centers featuring strict quality controls, minimal material waste and unbelievable efficiency. As a result, our customers receive strong, energy-efficient manufactured homes delivered in less time and for less money than comparable site built homes.
What is a Manufactured Home?
The term "manufactured home" specifically refers to a home built entirely in a protected environment under a federal code set by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Manufactured homes are NOT mobile homes. The term "mobile home" describes factory-built homes produced prior to the 1976 HUD Code enactment.
The HUD code requires each manufactured home to meet the following requirements:
- Built as a one, two or three section home in a protected building center, transported to the home site on a frame and installed.
- Meets the strict HUD code restrictions for design and construction, durability and strength, fire resistance, transportability, energy efficiency and quality.
- Built on steel beams with wheels under each section.
- Meets the high standards for heating, plumbing, air conditioning and thermal and electrical systems performance.
- Passes stringent third party inspections.
Other Important Considerations
When deciding between a manufactured or modular home, there are a few considerations. Palm Harbor can build many available floor plan to either building code. A manufactured home typically offers a larger footprint and a lower cost per square foot for the home. Manufactured home financing options include chattel, or home only, loans. Manufactured homes can also be relocated.
Palm Harbor's housing consultants are ready to answer all of your questions and help you experience the Palm Harbor Homes advantage. Contact a model center near you today to learn more.